Chana Masala (Family Pack)
FREE SHIPPING on all products!
Chickpeas, cooked to perfection in an onion-tomato sauce, flavored with genuine ethnic spices.
This popular recipe of North India is often paired with a side of delicious long-grained rice cooked with vegetables and flavored with smoky cumin.
Recipe pack contains pre-measured organic dry spices, recipes, and cooking directions.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Recipe Pack Serves: 4
Ingredients included in organic Indian flavor packs:
- Organic cumin seeds
- Organic turmeric powder
- Organic coriander powder
- Organic cumin powder
- Organic red chili powder
- Organic garam masala (ground coriander seeds, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, green cardamom, cumin, bay leaves)
Ingredients you will need from your local grocer:
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onions
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups finely chopped Roma or canned tomatoes
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and strained
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 2-3 cups water
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat, add cumin seeds. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and turmeric powder, stir-fry 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger powder and garlic powder, stir 30 seconds.
- Add cumin powder, stir, add coriander powder, stir to release fragrant aromas.
- Add tomatoes and cayenne, cook for 6-8 minutes until tomatoes are soft and oil separates.
- Add chickpeas, salt and enough water to cover the chickpeas.
- Cook covered 10-12 minutes on medium heat until chickpeas are soft. Stir in garam masala.
- Uncover and simmer on low heat until sauce thickens. Garnish with cilantro (optional).
Serve hot over bed of long grained rice or with naan bread.
Variation: Substitute chickpeas with your favorite red kidney beans or pinto beans or black beans in the above recipe. Just add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste at step 5 along with tomatoes and cayenne for a tangy delicious taste.