Get Your Kids Enjoying Cauliflower – The Indian Way!
December 1, 2015
Cauliflower is a wondrous vegetable that has numerous health benefits. Packed with Vitamin C, Vitamin K and a multitude of other nutrients, it is the vegetable of choice for many who want to enjoy the benefits of this versatile vegetable. Cauliflower is best when cut into mini florets. My mother always recommended that Cauliflower florets be broken off by hand, as against slicing through with a knife – an art to cutting cauliflower that took me many years to master!
I have had the pleasure of enjoying this vegetable in many ways. In salads, it can be consumed raw (although I cheat and dunk it in a lot of dressing!), or it can be baked as a casserole in white sauce and cheese (yummy!), or better still, sautéed with hints of turmeric, coriander, mustard and cumin to make an absolutely delicious and healthy entrée that can be relished with a side of rice. Personally, I prefer the last option – and my kids love it too, eating this favorite curry straight off the skillet!
Like most vegetables, it is important to not over-cook cauliflower – something that I am known to do when I am distracted by my daughter’s essay paper or son’s antics. It is very easy to cook cauliflower, and it takes hardly any time to make it – so here I am, to share a Curried Cauliflower and Carrots recipe with you!
Prep time: 5-10 minutes, Cook time: 15-20 minutes, Serves 2
10” non-stick skillet
1 tbsp cooking oil
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp asafetida
½ medium size onion cut into small pieces
½ lb (2 cups) cauliflower broken into small florets
1 medium carrot cut into 1” long and 1” wide pieces
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp salt to taste
½ tsp rice flour
Cooking Directions: (Remember to stop and savor the flavors!)
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat, sputter mustard seeds
- Lower heat, add cumin seeds and asafetida
- Add onions, stir fry 1 minute on medium heat until brown
- Add cauliflower, carrots, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt
- Stir and cook covered on low heat for 5-6 min, stirring every 1-2 min so the vegetables absorb the flavors of spices
- Uncover, stir-fry on medium heat for 5-6 min until moisture evaporates
- Sprinkle rice flour and stir fry for 3-4 min on medium heat till brown
Serve hot with rice or Indian bread (naan)